1. Facebook recently added its 1 billionth user. To put that in perspective, the entire world population in 1804 was 1 billion people.
2. Turkey has begun shelling Syrian government forces after five Turkish civilians were killed near the border.
3. Walmart workers all over Los Angeles walked out for the whole day on Thursday to protest the company’s resistance to any sort of labor organizing.
4. Is “illegal immigrant” an appropriate term for journalism and the public to apply to undocumented workers? And who exactly gets to define that term?
5. The story of a man who strangled his wife in his sleep reveals the fascinating and explosive ways that neuroscience is entering our criminal justice system.
6. The Great Sioux Nation is scrambling to come up with $9 million to buy a section of sacred land in the Black Hills of South Dakota after it came up for sale. Of couse, it was theirs to begin with.
7. Silvio Berlusconi, the former President of Italy, wasn’t seen for nearly three months. Then he emerged from hiding on a flashy cruise ship, with a new girlfriend.
By: Mike Guisinger
(Photo by Helen K under a Creative Commons License)