LiftoffBy Tanya Rogovyk on February 7, 2011 at 7:00 am
- In Egypt: Vice President Omar Suleiman held a first meeting with members of the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood and youth opposition groups. The meeting itself was noteworthy. It brought together members of the brotherhood, Egypt’s biggest opposition movement, and the autocratic government that has for decades repressed it as an Islamist threat. However, the results of the meeting appear to be less than momentous.
- Superbowl: The Green Bay Packers bring home the Lombardi Trophy for the first time in 14 years, beating the Pittsburg Steelers 31-25. If you missed the game but are still dying to see the commercials, you can watch them on Hulu. Watch Eminem help sell the new Chrysler 200 in this incredible commercial:
- Senate rejects repeal of Health Care Law: The vote took place on Wednesday, February 2. The vote was 47 to 51, with all Republicans voting unanimously for repeal but falling 13 votes short of the 60 needed to advance their proposal.
Michigan Sports: Michigan basketball comes from behind to beat Penn State, 65-62.
- Palin on the run: Sarah Palin initiated a celebration of Ronald Reagan this weekend by declaring that the United States was lurching toward a “road to ruin.” She denounced that the nation is currently so weighed down by debt and excess government intervention that a new direction is urgently needed in Washington.
- 2011 Oscar Ballot: Check out the nominations and cast your vote here.
- It’s a beautiful day in Ann Arbor: Recent snowstorms make it difficult for the disabled to travel around campus.
(Photo by sxc.hu)